Villetta di Laglio
Near Como, Lake Como
300 square meters indoor
2,000 Square Meters outdoor
- Highly desirable position near Villa d'Este and Cernobbio in George Clooney's adopted hometown
- Charming period villa with lovely antiques, a real family home with a refined but casual atmosphere
- Private pool on upper terrace, with dining area
- Air conditioning in all bedrooms
- Welcome Dinner and Breakfast Service included
- Local Cook or Professional Chef available a la Carte
- Great family home, children welcome
- Excellent choice for shoulder- or off-season rentals
- Services of a Homebase Abroad Concierge included for the duration of your stay
- Homebase Abroad's professional staff will recommend and orchestrate a Customized Itinerary at your request
Villetta di Laglio is a rare find on Lake Como, a real family home, with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and all the amenities that make for a successful holiday rental. This is a house for those who want to feel they can discover and enjoy Lake Como on their own, in the spirit of independence, knowing there are services and assistance available for the asking. Come and appreciate what it means to say you lived by Lake Como, in George Clooney's adopted hometown no less.
Villetta di Laglio is a charming authentic historic villa from the early 1900's century when a growing middle glass of upwardly mobile Milanese were able to enjoy the sybaritic pleasures of Lake Como. The current owners adore their weekend/vacation house and lavish it with the personal touches that mark this as a fine private home for rent, rather than a commercial operation. A three year renovation was completed with affection and respect appropriate to a period 'summer home'. The Villetta's gracious Art Nouveau-inspired architectural integrity is intact – high square ceilings with touches of decorative stuche, original handmade glass windows with their folding shutters, marble floors and double doors opening to the intimate grounds. The upper garden is large enough for everyone to spread out and relax, do a bit of running around and generally kick back. Here and there are glinting Lake views that attract the eye. You can catch them from the upper bedrooms, over the 'lower road' that runs in front of the house and through the branches of the neighboring trees.
Villetta di Laglio is fitted with the key amenities; a private pool with outdoor dining, WiFi and AC in the bedrooms plus you are walking distance to two restaurants and two small convenience stores. The kitchen is well-equipped whether you are trying your hand at Persico and Pizzocheri with Alberto or letting Denise cook for you. One of the Villetta's distinguishing features are the beds – dressed and decorated to be inviting for the eye and the body. You are on vacation after all and these details make a difference. Vacation here is about slowing down and getting out for simple day trips, staying active, playing with the kids and/or grand kids and marveling at the majesty of the landscape.
The key to a successful vacation on Lake Como is to get out on the water and up into the hills by turns. The efficient, high-value public transportation that crisscrosses the Lake gives you a comfortable and fun way to get about the Lake and remains one of Italy’s most enduring values. A day pass will let you get on and off the boats as you will to walk the Greenway or the tidy paths of Villa Melzi and Villa Carlotta. Head up the north branch towards Colico to take advantage of the changeable Lake winds – it is a playground for sailing, windsurfing and kayaking. Canyoning and biking and hiking – all guided to ensure you get the most out of the experience – will give you a completely different perspective of the Lake's beauty and the subtle culture of these old mountains.
But remember, Lake Como is best enjoyed without too much of an agenda. This is a place to come and play the days away.
- Gate opens directly from road to gravel driveway with open parking for 3-4 small cars. Oleander, camellias, hydrangea and date palm ring the property. Gravel apron continues around the Villa Paved staircase with railing to Upper Terrace.
- Tree-shaded dining area for 12 along north wall.
- Upper Terrace accessible by stairs or by bridge from First Floor. Table and chairs for six set among hydrangeas and palms.
- Pool Garden reached up a staircase from Upper Terrace. 20,000 square meter garden centers on pool (12 x 5 m, 1.2m deep, stairs) surrounded by well-kept lawn and bordered by jasmine, hydrangea, pear and olive trees. Dining pergola for 15 with fridge, sink and charcoal barbeque. Outdoor shower (cold).
- Laundry room (washing machine, dryer)
- High-ceilinged entrance hall with marble floor and stairs to upper levels.
- Lovely and elegant living room with seating for 12 at on antique sofas, chairs and daybed. Working marble fireplace, TV with satellite decoder, DVD, CD player. Writing desk.
- Dining room for 14 is open to kitchen for family-style meals. iPod/ MP3 speaker system.
- Spacious and well-equipped kitchen (double oven, stove, microwave, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, espresso machine) with granite and marble countertops. Double door to garden, outdoor dining and laundry room.
- Guest bath.
- Large and elegant Master bedroom (Queen) with two French doors open to long shared balcony overlooking lake and trees. TV with satellite (decoder). AC. Spacious ensuite bathroom (shower stall and bath), double sinks, towel warmer.
- Two-bedroom Suite: Children's double bedroom (single with trundle) with garden view and AC leads to double bedroom (full) with French door opening to shared balcony and Lake view. AC. TV with satellite (decoder).
- Shared bath (corner tub with hand-held shower) with view of back garden. Towel warmer.
- Double bedroom (twins can combine) with two windows overlooking a neighbors lovely garden and villa to the Lake. TV with satellite (decoder). AC. Ensuite bath (enclosed shower) with access to adjacent Games Room.
- Double bedroom (twins can combine) with Lake view, TV with Satellite (decoder). AC.
- Double bedroom (full) with windows overlooking gardens to the north and west. AC.
- Shared bath (shower stall) with towel warmer.
- Games Room (Play Station 2, collapsible foosball table, board games, etc.) with TV with Satellite (decoder), DVD player and CD players. AC. Seating for 8 - 12 on three couches (one is a double sofa bed, the other full size single beds. Additional children can be accommodated in this room by agreement in advance. Please inquire.)
- Rentals run Saturday-Saturday only from June - September. Please inquire for other periods. Owner is willing to be flexible wherever possible but availability is at her discretion. Arrival time is 4:00- 5:00 pm; departure time is 10:00 am.
- Cleaning included 4 hours per day, six days per week; additional service on request at E. 15/hr
- Linen change mid-week includes bed, bath and pool towels.
- Service for Continental Breakfast included 5 days/week for 1 hour, food and shopping time at cost.
- Additional cleaning and shopping at E. 15 per hour.
- Welcome Dinner included courtesy of Homebase Abroad.
- Advance Shopping service available by separate payment at E. 15/hr plus expenses
- Cooking services available at E. 20 per hour plus food and beverages. Professional chef available at E. 280 per dinner plus food and beverages.
- Complimentary WiFi; signal good in Living Room and Dining Room.
- Most bedrooms have beautiful antique furniture. Hairdryers are provided in each bathroom.
- A collection of English-language films is available at the house.
- The 'Lower Road' does have traffic which is audible within the house. The owner has intentionally retained the original handmade panes of glass. This means there is more traffic noise than there would otherwise be but the look and quality of the glass is preferred. Please note; any breakage of any windows will incur automatic and substantial loss of your Security Deposit. Please discuss this with us if you have any questions.
- Nothing larger than a medium size sedan will comfortably get in and out of the gate. Please discuss your transportation needs before booking.
- Individually controlled air conditioning is available in all the bedrooms but not the common rooms.
Points of Interest
- Argegno, Carate Urio (boat service); 10 minutes
- Como, Cadenabbia; 20 minutes
- Menaggio, Lugano; 30 minutes
- Bellagio (car plus ferry), Varenna, Lugano (Switzerland); 50 mins
- Milan, Malpensa Airport, Linate Airport; 50 mins
- Linate Airport/ Milan centre; 50 mins
- Bergamo; 65 mins
Price information available upon request.
- Additional staff for cleaning, shopping and personal laundry
- Additional cooking
- Food, beverages and other consumables
- Refundable Security Deposit: USD 3,500
- Extras Deposit (E. 1,000 due on arrival; for multi-week rentals, extras are to be settled in Euro at the end of each week.)
Homebase Abroad, Ltd.
Two Hooper Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
Phone: (781) 639-4040
Fax: (781) 639-3050
© May 2013 by Homebase Abroad, Ltd. All rights reserved.
return to top