Positano, Amalfi Coast
2,500 square meters indoor
2 Hectares outdoor
- Ultra-luxurious six-star accommodation for up to 33 guests
- Staff of 25+ in season, including professional chef
- Two hectares of private gardens evolving across nine levels to the sea
- Three pools, two set in private terraces
- Multiple furnished, illuminated, sound-wired terraces for dining and living out of doors in sun or shade
- Hand-crafted finishes include painted Vietri tiles, Murano glass and Venini plates as well as a range of luminescent marbles
- Air conditioning
- Multiple vegetable gardens, herb beds and fruit orchards furnish fresh produce for the estate
- Four distinct villas with expansive all-ensuite accommodation including dramatic room-size showers and romantic sea-view tubs
- Elevator facilitates access to various levels
Treville is arguably the most famous private estate on the Amalfi Coast, long the seaside home of Italian designer, director and producer Franco Zeffirelli. This was his most beloved of many homes and it is here he gathered with his exceptional and ofttimes famous circle of friends for the enthusiastic enjoyment of this startlingly beautiful coastline. The magnetic quality of the place drew dancers, musicians, painters, intellectuals and artists across decades, including Liz Taylor and her husbands, Leonard Bernstein, Laurence Olivier, Maria Callas, Diaghilev, Nijinsky, Liza Minnelli and Elton John. After a profound and dramatic re-visioning begun four years ago under Maestro Zeffirelli's own direction but taken up by a team of dedicated professional designers who themselves have personal ties to Treville, this superlative estate now offers an unparalleled experience of Italian style, service and amenities in a unique and captivating oceanfront setting. The standard of the extravagantly beautiful Treville is unmatched by any estate in Italy that we know of. Once again this heavenly place is attracting moguls and muses and anyone fortunate enough to travel in their company.
Treville is a private paradise offering a complete escape from the pressures of the outside world and an opportunity to step into an environment of sybaritic pleasures. Covering an entire hillside just outside the center of Positano, the Villa enjoys an extended season from May to October and encourages living almost exclusively out-of-doors. The 2,500 square meters of indoor living space and two hectares of grounds are extensive enough to enable a private or varied group of up to 33 to find plenty of space for privacy or socializing as preferred across nine distinct levels reaching from the entrance of Treville to the sea.
The estate begins at the street with a private gated entrance accessible by car. An elevator carved into 33 feet of solid rock will bring you from the upper Reception area into the Villa Azzurra, the center for dining and relaxing with its vast terrace providing panoramic views of sea and sky. The large living room accommodates 35 and can double as indoor dining if preferred. The distinctive tiled kitchen, no doubt the heartbeat of the estate, is open to guests for meal service as they like, part of the intentionally family-style atmosphere of Treville. The layout and configuration of the Villa Azzurra gathering spaces have been designed to be completely flexible, enabling guests to enjoy the property as they please, in large or intimate grouping, outside under the stars, a wisteria-covered pergola or inside before a fire.
Accommodation is spread among four independent houses: Villa Rosa, Villa Azzurra, Villa Bianco and Villa Tre Pini. Each of the 15 expansive suites -- with its' own enchanting view of sea, sky, coast or garden or some combination of all four, is an exceptional composition in its own right. Each has a sitting area if not a separate sitting room. Most every Suite opens to private outdoor spaces and two have private pools. Each is named after a special guest that has left his or her mark in the history of this place. Today's Treville retains much of the original collection of art, antiques, and memorabilia of Maestro Zeffirelli, an exuberant reflection of the owners' lifelong involvement in the arts, as well as his delight in entertaining, affection for worldwide travel and adoration for the absolute drama and beauty of this sun-drenched coast. Evidence of the current owners' appreciation for Maestro Zeffirelli's talents is everywhere. His own commitment to local artistry is also present in every room; original antique or perfectly recreated ceramics of Vietri, hand-painted plates produced exclusively for Treville by Rosalinda di Sorrento and glasses by Venini, famed Murano glassblowers. Most of the windows and terraces at Villa Treville are southwest facing, providing an exceptional and unusual view of Positano and the receding peninsulas of the Amalfi Coast into the distance, with the Isole dei Galli accenting an otherwise pristine expanse of sea.
Each of the four villas is at once distinct and also enmeshed in the lush and exuberant landscape that surrounds and enhances it. Each level is a harmonized composition of furnished terraces, with both shade and sun options, connected to impeccably kept manicured gardens and meandering pathways. Stone stairs lead down past the Villa Rosa tucking into the shade of 70-year-old tropical trees. Along the edge of the stairs, narrow, ruffle-edged trough-shaped pools pour an animating stream of water into the goldfish pond, which marks your arrival at the principal terrace for the Villa Bianco. The flora of the Mediterranean climate is everywhere in abundance; blossom-heavy wisteria vines, cascading bougainvillea, fragrant jasmine and capers, hedges of clipped rosemary and oleander, allees of citrus fruit trees. This is an antique tropical garden of rare beauty and an integral part of both the landscape and Treville itself. As is the tradition here on the Coast, homegrown food is much a part of the experience. Treville's chef will be working daily with produce from the various vegetable gardens spread across the property growing tomatoes, zucchini, sweet corn, green beans and eggplant, together with plenty of basil and other aromatic herbs. Pick the sweet 'uva di fragole' grapes or oranges, depending on the season.
The shared pool is set on its own promontory and surrounded by a keyhole shaped terrace shaded with an enormous umbrella pine. Oval in shape, the pool is set into a high domed alcove with a rough stone ceiling. Guests have the option of enjoying the pool as is, or heated with or without the whirlpool. Two curving staircases give easy access, with two built-in Carrara benches for sitting and standing. Simple bath with hot and cold shower is adjacent. (Note; There are two additional pools, off the Zeffirelli Suite and the Tosca-Callas Suite.)
A final set of stairs descends through additional vegetable gardens to a gate securing access to the ocean. Here, a Solarium has been fashioned from broad terraces on top of the rocks and two straw pergolas have been installed for shade. There is furniture for 16, tanning on sun beds or sitting with a book. Plans for 2012 include completion of a spa, La Serra, on it's own private terrace.
Treville's traditional wood-decked launch, the San Ferdinando, is included with each rental and available for trips to Positano or along the coast. High-speed motorboats and large sailing vessels of up to 100 meters can be accommodated on the private mooring in front of Treville. Helicopters can land on the estate or on a nearby island with guests brought to Treville on the San Ferdinando. Private chauffeured car services will be organized at the guests' request to ensure the opportunity to explore Capri, Ravello and points beyond in comfort.
- Gated entrance with security to private drive. Turntable for cars.
- Private reception area with elevator to Blue Villa. Elevator continues to Solarium and Grotto Pool.
- Landscaped gardens on eight levels descending to the sea, illuminated for night and including speaker system.
- Unbroken and exceptional views of ocean and coast from each of the multiple furnished terraces, flexible seating options.
- Bernstein Suite: Immense terrace with multiple double doors leading inside to both the sitting room and the bedroom (king). Ensuite bath with unique room-size shower.
- Nijinsky Suite; Separate sitting area and bedroom (king) with multiple full-height double doors opening to a view of Positano. Guest bath plus full ensuite bath (shower stall and Turkish bath).
- Primary living room with fireplace and backlit niche framing priceless collection of Sicilian porcelains. Flexible seating arrangements accommodate up to 30. Elevator access.
- Estate kitchen, completely finished in original majolica tiles, hand-painted by artisans from Vietri. Kitchen is open to guests for self-serve drinks and snacks. Meals prepared on site feature local fresh-caught fish and estate vegetables as well as olive oil from the owners' Sorrento estate.
- Outdoor shaded dining terrace for up to 35 with flexible seating arrangement.
- Downes Suite; Entrance corridor leads to separate sitting room with ocean view. Master bedroom (king) with access to private terrace. Ensuite bath (tub and shower)
- Diaghilev Suite: Expansive bedroom (king) with sitting area and east-facing, ocean-view balcony. Ensuite bath (tub)
- Massine Suite: Separate sitting room and bedroom (king) with multiple ocean-view double doors. Bi-level ensuite bath (tub and shower).
- Extraordinary Salone Bianco finished in an all-white tiles and upholstery, including mother-of-pearl furniture from Syria. Overall seating for some 50 guests. Wet bar available for drinks and refreshments.
- Zeffirelli Suite: Three-room private Master suite with view to I Faraglione of Capri. Comprises sitting room, dining room and master bedroom (king) with private terrace and pool. Ensuite bath (bath and hydro-massage shower). Miramare Suite and Kessler Suite can connect to Zeffirelli Suite or be independent.
- Miramare Suite: Striking west-facing room with private balcony, sitting area and bedroom (king). Ensuite bath (shower stall)
- Kessler Suite; Romantic canopy bed (king) with fireplace and terrace. Ensuite bath (shower stall)
- Callas -Tosca Suite: Two double bedrooms (king) each with private ensuite bath (shower stalls). Double doors open to shared large private terrace and pool.
VILLA TRE PINI
Furthest from Villa Azzurra but closest to the sea. Most appropriate to anyone traveling with children.
- Aida Suite: Double bedroom (king) with sitting area and double doors opening to garden. Ensuite bath with oval shower room
- Turandot Suite: Sitting room with sleeping alcove (king). Reached directly from garden. Ensuite bath (shower) with sea view.
- Romeo and Juliet Suite: Double sitting room with ocean and garden view to the East. Bedroom (king). Guest bath as well as full bath (tub). Double doors to terrace shared with Carmen suite.
- Carmen Suite: Double bedroom (king) with sitting area and double doors to shared terrace. Ensuite bath (shower stall)
- Norma Suite: Double bedroom (king) with sitting area and views to the sea. Ensuite bath (shower stall)
- Cleaning included daily
- Buffet breakfast included daily
- Lunch can be served informally at the Villa Azzurra by the staff. Chef will prepare dinners according to guest preferences.
- Bedrooms all equipped with independently controlled heat/air conditioning, mini bar, TV, safe and wireless internet connection. Bed linens are from Frette.
- Bathroom amenities include toiletries from La Source, lit makeup mirrors, towel warmers, marble finishes and double sinks in all but four Suites.
- Additional single beds for children can be added to Zeffirelli Suite, Bernstein Suite and Romeo & Juliet Suite
- All beds have Picolin mattresses of 2 mtrs x 2 mtrs. Some beds can be separated as twins on request. Please inquire.
- Elevator services only some levels of the estate (Villa Azzurra, Villa Bianco/Tosca-Callas Suites and Villa Tre Pini). Please discuss details directly. The Estate includes staircases and extensive garden paths that cannot be entirely avoided. There are at least thirty steps from the final garden to the sea for accessing ocean swimming and private boats. Cars can arrive within 10 stairs of Reception. Any physical limitations must be discussed before booking.
- Children over 12 welcome unless by special arrangement. Please inquire.
- Private pools for the Zeffirelli and Callas/Tosca Suites only.
- Helicopters can land at Treville or on a nearby island and guests can arrive by the property's private launch, the San Salvatore
- Yacht mooring for 100 mtrs+ available at 300 meters from Tre Ville. Please inquire.
- The Villa staff will valet any sport cars that cannot arrive directly. Ferrari cannot arrive directly to the Reception area.
- Arrival time is 4:00- 5:00 pm; departure time is 10:00 am.
Points of Interest
- Positano; 5 minutes by boat, 10 minutes by chauffeured car
- Amalfi, Nerano, Capri; 40 minutes by private launch
- Ravello; 50 minutes by private car
- Naples (airport): 70 minutes
Price information available upon request.
- Welcome dinner.
- Food, beverages and other consumables. Lunches and dinners are priced on a per plate basis.
- Personal laundry.
- Security Deposit (up to USD 80,000/week for Treville)
- Extras Deposit (minimum USD 30,000 per week for Treville)